Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs311Search all websites

Temporary Protected Status

It is important to know

In 2017 and 2018, the Trump administration ended TPS designations for El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, and Sudan. Those terminations were initially blocked by courts. But, on September 14, 2020, a federal appeals court issued a decision that allows terminations of TPS for those countries to move forward. The termination of Haitian TPS is still blocked under a separate court order.

However, on February 16, 2021, the Court agreed to pause the proceedings for 90 days in anticipation of action from the Biden Administration that could impact the litigation. TPS remains in effect for El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, and Sudan.

Due to the ongoing legal challenges, on September 10, 2021, USCIS automatically extended the validity of TPS documents for El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, Nepal, Nicaragua, and Sudan through December 31, 2022. TPS recipients should continue to check the USCIS website to monitor for any further announcements and reach out to a trusted legal representative with any questions about the validity of their work authorization and documents.

Please check this page for the latest information on TPS. For more information on the ongoing lawsuits, visit USCIS's webpages on Ramos v. Nielsen and Bhattarai v. Nielsen.

What is Temporary Protected Status (TPS)?

Temporary Protected Status (TPS) allows individuals from certain countries to remain in the United States if it is unsafe for them to return to their home country due to a humanitarian emergency there. For example, the federal government may designate a country for TPS if there is an armed conflict (e.g., civil war) or a natural disaster (e.g., earthquake). TPS enables recipients to work in the United States lawfully and protects them from deportation as long as the TPS designation is in effect.

In order to receive TPS, applicants must prove that they have lived continuously in the United States since a date specified by the federal government. Countries' TPS designations come up for renewal at 6 to 18-month intervals, at which point the federal government again makes a determination about whether a given country can absorb its returning nationals safely.

Recipients must re-register for TPS if a TPS designation is extended, or in some cases ended. Visit the USCIS website for additional information about TPS.

TPS Designated Countries

Frequently Asked Questions

Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.

Is the Temporary Protected Status program ending?

The TPS program is still in effect. However, the Trump Administration has sought to end TPS for some countries. This means some TPS recipients may lose lawful status and their ability to work lawfully and may become at risk of being deported.

Each country has a different expiration date for TPS. The federal government is required to announce a determination at least 60 days before the expiration date of TPS for a given country.

By law, decisions on TPS designations must be made on a country-by-country basis. It is important for you to track when your TPS is set to expire. If you currently have TPS, you will have lawful status and work authorization until the date on which your TPS expires.

Where can I find out more about changes to TPS?

You should continue to check the USCIS website for additional information about TPS and any changes to TPS.

I'm worried that the federal government might not extend my TPS. What should I do?

Now is the time to look into what your legal options might be. You may be eligible for other forms of immigration relief. It is very important for you to get a legal consultation with a trusted legal services provider. Free legal help is available.

  • ActionNYC can provide free, safe immigration legal help in your community and in your language. You can call ActionNYC at 800-354-0365 between 9am-6pm, on Monday through Friday, to make an appointment.
  • Visit the USCIS website for the most specific information about when your TPS is currently set to expire and what you may need to do to renew it.

How can I avoid fraud while I am seeking immigration legal help?

Beware of unlicensed immigration service providers who take advantage of their customers. Get help only from a trusted, licensed attorney or an accredited representative. Only lawyers or those who have gotten permission from the Department of Justice can give legal advice. For questions about this, or to report fraud, call the New York State New Americans Hotline at 1-800-566-7636 between 9am-8pm, on Monday through Friday, or call 311.

If I lose TPS, will I still have access to City services?

Additional Resources for TPS Recipients

Get connected to free, confidential legal help

The City provides free, confidential immigration legal help. Call ActionNYC at 800-354-0365, Monday through Friday, between 9am to 6pm, to make an appointment with a provider in your community and in your language.

If you're feeling anxious, stressed or depressed – help is available

It's normal to feel anxiety and stress. You can talk to an NYC Well counselor who can provide you with confidential support. NYC Well can also connect you to mental health care in your language. Call 888-NYC-WELL, text "WELL" to 65173, or visit

Stay connected – get an IDNYC

IDNYC, New York City's free photo identification card, is available to all New Yorkers ages 10 and up. IDNYC applicants' information is confidential. Immigration status does not matter. To learn more about the many benefits, services, and discounts available to IDNYC cardholders visit or call 311 and say "IDNYC" for more information and to make an appointment to enroll.

How can I get involved?

Volunteer with the Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs. Visit or call 212-788-7654 during business hours, Monday-Friday, 9 am-5 pm.

Inform & Engage: Invite the Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs to your community for a "Know Your Rights Forum." Visit or call 212-788-7654 during business hours, Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm.