The New York City Mayor's Office for International Affairs works to foster positive relations and encourage collaboration between the international community and New York City's agencies and local neighborhoods. The Office is focused on sharing New York City's policies and best practices globally, as well as responding to requests from foreign governments, the United Nations, and the U.S. Department of State. International Affairs also advises City agencies on diplomatic and consular matters, and provides guidance to the diplomatic and consular community on City-related issues. The office also administers the City of New York/U.S. Department of State Diplomatic and Consular Parking Program.
- Connecting Local to Global helps join NYC's diplomatic and consular community to the City they live in and serve. Working in partnership with our colleagues at City agencies, the Office uses CL2G to create opportunities for the 114 consulates in NYC to learn about the work of NYC agencies and share NYC's programming with the communities they serve, while also helping NYC to learn from their best practices.
- NYC Junior Ambassadors seeks to leverage the United Nations as a resource for NYC seventh graders and empower students in all five boroughs of New York City to become actively engaged with the United Nations and its mission of addressing some of the most pressing challenges in the world.
- Global Vision | Urban Action works to highlight the synergies between the global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and New York City's local sustainability and development initiatives contained within OneNYC: The Plan for a Strong and Just City. By bringing together experts from NYC and the international community, Global Vision | Urban Action is a platform to share information and forge innovative solutions to challenges that can be adopted locally and globally.
- Parking: In collaboration with the U.S. Department of State, the Office administers the New York City diplomatic parking program, issuing parking decals annually and assisting diplomatic and consular offices with parking issues throughout the year.
- Consular notification: The Office assists Consulates General in obtaining information regarding incidents involving possible injury or casualty to foreign nationals in New York City.
- Delegation visits: The Office facilitates meetings with New York City officials for visiting delegations of foreign government officials, at the local and federal levels.
- Economic Development: The Office helps bring international business to NYC, helps NYC-based businesses sell internationally, helps shape new programs to drive inclusive sconomic development, and fosters the exchange of economic development between cities globally,