A Diverse, Global City
NYC is a diverse and global city:
- Home to a population that speaks over 200 languages
- 37% of New Yorkers were born outside of the United States, and as many as 49% speak a language other than English at home.
- With public signage written in many different languages, NYC is making it easier for non-English speakers to live and work comfortably in the city.
- Each neighborhood in NYC has unique strengths and demographics, allowing businesses to find a borough and community to match their needs.
- Over three million New Yorkers are foreign-born, and almost 50% of the city's businesses are owned by immigrants.