FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 23, 2012
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, (212) 306-3322
NYCHA Housing Court and Eviction Moratorium
Moratorium effective Nov. 15, 2012 through Jan. 1, 2013 for housing court actions and evictions for residents living in developments affected by Hurricane Sandy.
From November 15, 2012 through January 1, 2013, NYCHA management staff in developments affected by Hurricane Sandy will not start any new housing court actions or perform evictions for residential tenants as follows:
- Non-payments: No new non-payment petitions and no notices of petition
- Holdover after Administrative Termination: No new 30 day Notices to Vacate, no new holdover petitions and no notices of petition
- Holdover-Licensee/Squatter: No new 10 day Notices to Quit, no new holdover petitions and no notices of petition
- Existing Housing Court Cases: Existing cases will continue but adjournments may be liberally granted.
- Evictions: Residential evictions will not be scheduled except for the following cases: Bawdy House Law (conducting an illegal trade or business, such as drug sales, in a NYCHA apartment) cases; cases in which residents have been found guilty of serious crimes; and other exceptional cases as approved by the Executive Vice-President for Operations or designee
The above policy does not apply to non-residential tenant(s), such as commercial stores or community centers.