Maintenance and Repairs
The New York City Housing Authority’s Customer Contact Center provides every resident the opportunity to contact the center in regards to emergency and non-emergency maintenance repairs for their apartments.
Scheduling at the Customer Contact Center is separated into two main categories: Emergencies and Non-Emergencies. Non-emergency are routine maintenance repairs and skilled trade repairs. These repairs are scheduled through the system based on the next available date and time which is determined by the number of Property Management Department or Development staff in a particular title that are available in the schedule. The customer service representative does not dispatch staff. Development Management is responsible for assigning staff to appointments.
Based on the type of emergency and availability of staff, the authority has set a target first response within the time frame of 24 hours for emergency calls.
NYCHA Emergency Repairs
While the development offices are closed, the Customer Contact Center will contact the appropriate NYCHA staff or other governmental agencies to make sure emergencies are addressed, but once the situation is stabilized the repairs are referred to the development where the resident lives for follow-up action on the next working day.
- Danger or potential danger to life or limb caused by a maintenance problem
- Explosions / Fires (Fire Department must also be notified)
- Gas Leaks
- Elevators out of order
- Power failures and apartments without electricity
- Main sewer and stack stoppages
- Apartment door and door knobs not working
- Toilet stoppages
- Heat and hot water complaints
Staff will not respond after-hours to the following:
- Lock out service or lock repairs involving residents' personal locks*
- Household sink, basin or bathtub stoppages*
- Toilet Stoppages after 11:30 pm
- Drain pipe leaking (Do not run water through pipe)
- Refrigerators that are out of order
- Installation of fuses or resetting of circuit breakers
- Retrieval of wallets, keys, money, etc. from elevator or compactor shafts*
- Toilet tanks that are out of order
- Stove ticking
- Noisy compactors
- Stoves, water lines, electricity, etc. previously shutdown by the Fire Dept., Con Edison, KeySpan Energy or your Development.
Staff can also be dispatched for the following non-emergency situations, after-hours, for a $50 fee:
- Lock out service or lock repairs involving a Housing Authority- issued lock, reported by the head of household
- The retrieval of keys from elevator or compactor shafts
- Household sink, basin or bathtub stoppages
To schedule general apartment repair appointments during regular business hours - 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM When you call the CCC during regular business hours (when the development staff is available):
- If it is an emergency, the development staff will be notified
- All other repairs within your apartment will be scheduled for you while you are on the telephone
- Repairs and emergencies outside your apartment will be prioritized and addressed by the appropriate staff
After Regular Business Hours - 4:30 PM - 8:00 AM weekdays, weekends and holidays When you call the Customer Contact Center for maintenance repairs after business hours, on weekends or holidays (when development staff is not available) the Customer Service Representative will:
- Schedule an appointment for any work necessary in your apartment, except for emergencies, between the hours of 6am and Midnight.
- Place in the system any other requests for repair in public space and the appropriate staff will address these based on their priority.