Office of the Supervising Chief Surgeon
Supervising Chief Surgeon: Eli J. Kleinman, M.D., M.P.H.
The Supervising Chief Surgeon is responsible for overseeing, assessing, and implementing all medical activities undertaken by the department and advising the Police Commissioner and Chief of Personnel on medical preparedness and policy issues. Additionally, he serves as the medical advisor to the Police Pension and Police Relief Funds.
Functions of the Office of the Supervising Chief Surgeon include:
- Supervising a cadre of police surgeons and honorary police surgeons, and overseeing the activities of medical districts in five department health care facilities
- Collaborating with the Legal Bureau, DCPI, Training and various other bureaus on issues of departmental concern, and providing expert medical testimony for legal cases involving the department
- Coordinating various health and well-being initiatives, campaigns, and clinical studies including the activities of the Mobile Health Van at precincts, transit districts, and PSAs, as well as cardiovascular screenings for membership to department fitness facilities
- Providing topical medical information via print and digital media
- Advising, upgrading and drilling the department's Emergency Medical Disaster plans