Traffic Enforcement Agents
Keep Traffic Flowing and Get New Yorkers Where They're Going
NYPD traffic enforcement agents perform work of varying degrees of difficulty in traffic enforcement areas in New York City. When required, an agent issues summonses to illegally parked vehicles, directs traffic at intersections, testifies at administrative hearing offices and in court, prepares required reports, and may be called upon to operate a motor vehicle.
The filing for the next NYPD Traffic Enforcement Agent Exam will be September 1st- September 21st.
Salary and Benefits
Click here to learn more about salary and benefits
To qualify candidates MUST meet the following qualification:
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of appointment
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Pass a character and background investigation
- Pass a drug screening
- Be NYC residents (5 boroughs) within 90 days of appointment if you are a new city hire
- Pay a $75 fee for fingerprinting as part of the investigation process
- Possess a driver license valid in the State of New York. Candidates for assignment Level III must possess a towing endorsement in addition to regular license
Traffic Enforcement Agents are assigned to the Police Academy for a period of 12-14 weeks. They start receiving pay and benefits from their first day of Recruit training.
- Do I have to be a citizen? Is there an age limit to be appointed?
Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, you must be able to prove your identity and your right to obtain employment in the United States prior to employment with the City of New York. There is no maximum age requirement
- Does this position have union benefits?
Yes. Traffic Agents are covered under Local 1181 and Local 1182
- Do Traffic Agents have to work nights, weekends, and holidays?
At all assignment levels, personnel may be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
Sign up here to receive email alerts regarding upcoming exams, events, and information about careers as a NYPD Traffic Enforcement Agent.
Chat with a Recruiter Now
Recruiters are generally available Monday-Friday between the hours of 7 AM and 8 PM, and Saturday-Sunday between the hours of 12 PM and 8 PM.