The minimum age of appointment is 21 years old. However, candidates are eligible to take the Police Officer’s Entrance Exam at seventeen and one half (17½) years old. Candidates may take the Entrance Exam up until their 35th birthday. Education:
You must have earned 60 college credits with a minimum 2.0 GPA from an accredited institution or 2 years of active military service in the U.S. Armed Forces in order to be appointed to the title of Police Officer. Residency:
You must also be a United States citizen, have a valid New York driver license and live in one of the city's five boroughs or Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam or Orange counties within 30 days of being hired. Disqualifiers:
Candidates will be disqualified if they have been convicted of a felony, domestic violence misdemeanor, or have been dishonorably discharged from the military. Candidates may also be disqualified if they demonstrate a history of disrespect for the law, a tendency toward violence, termination from a job for poor behavior, or not adjusting to discipline.
The Hiring Process
- The hiring process requires that the following steps must be successfully completed:
- Written Entrance Exam: Candidates must pass a written examination offered by the Department of Citywide Administrative Services in order to move forward in the hiring process
- Medical Exam
- Written and Oral Psychological Exams
- Background Character Investigation
- Job Standards Test (JST): Candidates must finish this continuous physical test in 4 minutes and 28 seconds to pass. The JST includes: sprinting 50 yards and surmounting a barrier; climbing stairs; demonstrating the ability to physically restrain someone; running in pursuit; dragging a 175-pound mannequin 35 feet to simulate a rescue; and pulling the trigger of an unloaded firearm multiple times
- In addition, candidates are required to pass a drug and alcohol screening
All qualified candidates will be scheduled at the Candidate Assessment Center to complete the aforementioned exams. For any questions, please call the Candidate Assesment Center at (718) 312-4226 during the hours of 7:00 AM and 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday, or email APD@NYPD.org.