Private Insurance/Qualified Health Plans
What is Private Health Insurance?
Private health insurance is managed by private insurance companies, rather than New York State. You can buy private insurance, called a Qualified Health Plan, on the NY State of Health Marketplace. You can get help to apply from someone in your community. Financial help is available on the NY State of Health. You can also buy insurance directly from an insurance company, but you won't be eligible for financial help if you do.
Who is eligible?
- Anyone can purchase private health insurance. You can get financial help, depending on your income.
- Most people under age 65 apply through the NY State of Health Marketplace. Learn more about the NY State of Health.
- Learn more about options for people 65 and over.
- New Yorkers who are undocumented can purchase private insurance directly from a health insurance company. Learn more about options for immigrants.
- You could get financial help to pay for insurance, if you buy through the NY State of Health Marketplace. There are two types of financial help.
Learn more about the Cost of a Plan with Financial Assistance.
How to apply
- You can apply for private health insurance and financial help through the NY State of Health Marketplace. You can also apply directly with an insurance company.