Immigrants in New York have more health insurance options than in many other states. Applying for health insurance won't affect your immigration status or application for status. Your immigration status won't be shared with federal immigration authorities.
View our Guide to Health Care and Health Insurance for Immigrants in New York
Download our fact sheets in multiple languages
Your Health Insurance Options
- Child Health Plus: All New York children can get Child Health Plus, regardless of immigration status or income.
- Medicaid: Free or very low cost insurance for New Yorkers with low income.
- If you are pregnant, you can get Medicaid regardless of immigration status, as long as you meet other requirements.
- If you are undocumented and not pregnant, you can still get Medicaid for emergency services, as long as you meet other requirements.
- DACAmented New Yorkers with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status can qualify for Medicaid.
- Essential Plan: Free or very low cost insurance for adults with low income who don't qualify for Medicaid. Immigrants can qualify for Essential Plan right after moving to New York, as long as they have a valid visa or deferred action status. DACA individuals don't qualify.
- Private/Qualified Health Plans: Insurance plans on the NY State of Health Marketplace (financial help is available) and directly from insurance companies. Most immigrants can purchase private plans on the NY State of Health Marketplace. Financial help is available. Anyone can purchase private health insurance directly from an insurance company by calling the insurance company or visiting their website.
- Family Planning Benefit Program: Free and confidential family planning services for adults and teens who qualify.
- Family Planning Extension Program: Program for people who have Medicaid while pregnant but who no longer qualify after their pregnancy.
Get Help to Apply
You can get free, in-person help from someone in your community to understand your health insurance options and apply. You can get help in your language.
Find In-Person Help
Low-Cost Health Care
If you can't get health insurance, you can still get affordable health care in NYC. Learn more about your options for low-cost care.
Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs
Empire Justice Center Health Coverage Crosswalk: Health insurance eligibility by immigration status
Newest New Yorkers: NYC Department of City Planning report on immigrants in NYC.
NY State of Health Marketplace for Individuals/Families
ACCESS NYC: Website that helps you find out which City, State and Federal health and human service benefit programs might be right for you.
NY Immigration Coalition: Find information about immigrant eligibility for public health insurance, unique immigrant concerns such as sponsor issues and public charge.