Staying hydrated is an important part of being your healthiest. Treat yourself right this summer by drinking plenty of water and enjoying fresh fruits and vegetables.
Water helps keep your body temperature normal and helps muscles work efficiently.
- Drink plenty of water especially if you are active, live or work in hot conditions and/or are an older adult.
- Feeling hungry? Try drinking water before eating. Sometimes thirst can be confused for hunger.
DID YOU KNOW?
NYC is fortunate to some of the best drinking water in the nation.
NYC gets over 1 billion gallons of fresh clean water from reservoirs in upstate New York.
Make it Convenient
- Carry a reusable bottle with you and refill it at water fountains.
- Ask your agency’s facilities personnel for permission to post this water fountain prompt sign in your worksite.
- Learn more about NYC water and choosing healthy beverages here.
Make it Your Way
If you are craving some fizz, try seltzer. Pick your favorite flavor or add a splash of 100 percent fruit juice.
Give your water some flavor! Add fresh fruits and herbs to your water. Use this flavor-infused water recipe.
Enjoy Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Eat fruits and vegetables every day. This can lower your risk of heart disease and possibly some cancers. Fruits and vegetables are good for you because they:
- Contain plenty of fiber
- Are naturally low in sodium
- Contain many vitamins and minerals
DID YOU KNOW?
Fruits and vegetables like watermelon, tomatoes, and cucumbers are composed of over 90% water
Make a Plan
NYC has over 130 farmers markets where you can find fresh, delicious, local produce. Many markets offer free nutrition workshops and cooking demonstrations, tastings and recipes.
- Make half of your plate fruits and vegetables. Check out the Guide to Healthy Eating and Active Living in NYC and the Eating Healthy website for tips and resources on how to do this.
- Visit a farmers market near you. Text “SoGood” to 877877 or use this map to find a farmers market near you.
- Attend a public cooking demonstrations at certain NYC farmers markets from July to November. Receive a $2 Health Bucks coupon to spend on fruits and vegetables at the market for attending! Look for the carrot icon next to the market on this map for locations.
- Try one of these healthy recipes for your next meal.
Learn why staying hydrated is important for your health here.