FAQ: Premium TransitChek MetroCard

What is the Premium TransitChek MetroCard?

The Premium TransitChek MetroCard (Premium Card) is an annual unlimited ride MetroCard. When you enroll in the Premium Card Program, you will receive a MetroCard that can be used for a continuous 12-month period for unlimited rides on MTA subway and local buses.

How does the Premium TransitChek MetroCard Plan work?

Upon your enrollment in the Premium TransitChek MetroCard Plan, WageWorks sets up your Commuter account to hold your monthly pre-tax deductions. The deduction amount is equal to the cost of the MTA 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard, $127.00 as of 4/21/19.

Your Premium Card will be issued and mailed to your address after your Commuter account accumulates sufficient funds.

As long as your funds remain sufficient and you participate in the program, the card will work for a continuous 12-month period, after which a new card will be issued to cover the next 12-month period. You only have to order your first card.

On the 10th day of each month, $127.00 will be debited from your Commuter account to cover the next month cost and thus keep your card active.

What is WageWorks?

WageWorks is the City’s commuter benefit provider.

How do I enroll in the Premium TransitChek MetroCard plan?

  • City employees: use NYCAPS Employee Self Service or contact your agency's Commuter Benefit Coordinator. Three business days after you enroll in the Premium TransitChek Plan, go to www.wageworks.com/nyc or call WageWorks at 877-WageWorks (877-924-3967) to select your Premium TransitChek.

  • Department of Education (DoE) employees: use DoE payroll portal. Three business days after you enroll in the Premium TransitChek Plan, go to the WageWorks website or call WageWorks at 877-WageWorks (877-924-3967) to select your Premium TransitChek.

  • City University of New York (CUNY) Community College employees are not eligible to enroll in the TransitChek Plan.

**Note:** The deadline for placing an order is the 10th of the month for the next month usage. However, for new enrollments the processing will take one month longer due to insufficient funds in the participant's account. For example, if you enroll on February 1 and after three business days you place an order, it will still not be processed on February 10 due to insufficient funds in your account. It will be processed on March 10 and the usage will begin on April 1.

Are there any service fees for the Premium Card Plan?

The City will pay the administrative fee of $1.77 per month for this plan. The value of this fringe benefit will be added to your taxable wages reported on your W-2.

How is my W-2 affected?

Your taxable wages in Box 1, Social Security and Medicare wages in Boxes 3 and 5, and state and local wages in Boxes 16 and 18 will be reduced by the value of the pre-tax Transportation Deductions from your pay.

The amount of the administrative fee paid to WageWorks in your behalf by the City will be shown in Box 14 as a fringe benefit added to your taxable earnings in Boxes 1, 3, 5, 16 and 18.

What are the ordering deadlines for Premium Card home delivery?

The Premium Card must be ordered by the 10th day of the month for the next month usage. For example, for usage beginning April 1 you must make your order by March 10. You must have sufficient funds in the Commuter account at the time of your order.

What if I don't have enough funds in my account to pay for the Premium TransitChek MetroCard?

You can securely supplement the funds in your Commuter account with funds from your own personal credit or debit card. You can leave your personal credit or debit card information on file with WageWorks and it will only be used if funds in your account are not sufficient to pay for your order. Please note that in order to pay with your personal credit or debit card you must have had at least one payroll deduction credited to your Commuter account.

Your other option is to skip a month and make your order after the funds in your account become sufficient.

Will WageWorks take the full $127.00 from the credit/debit card or only the balance needed to complete the order?

Only the difference needed to complete your order will be taken from your credit/debit card.

Can I place an order if I do not have any payroll deductions yet or my Commuter account balance is zero?

Yes, you can, but the order will not be processed until your funds become sufficient by the monthly order deadline. You must have had at least one payroll deduction credited to your Commuter account and then you can supplement the funds using your personal credit or debit card.

What happens if I skip a payroll deduction?

If you do not have sufficient funds on the 10th day of the month and do not have a credit or debit card on file with WageWorks, your card will stop working at the end of that month.

When will I get my Premium TransitChek MetroCard?

You can expect to receive your Premium TransitChek MetroCard in the mail before the first day of the benefit month. For example, your April card will arrive during the last week of March.

Do I have to come back to the website and update my order each year?

You will automatically receive a new 12-month card each benefit year as long as you remain eligible to participate in this program and have sufficient funds in your Commuter account, or until you change or cancel this order.

What if my pass gets lost in the mail or I get the wrong pass in the mail?

Request a replacement card. Please see the next item for details.

What happens if my Premium TransitChek MetroCard is damaged, lost or stolen?

Request a replacement card. You can pick it up in person or have it mailed to you. The request can be done in three ways:
  • Online: Visit WageWorks website
  • Telephone, 8am-8pm: 877-WageWorks (877-924-3967)

  • Walk-in Service: See office location and hours here. You must bring one of the photo IDs:
    • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
    • Driver's license or state non-driver's ID card
    • Employee ID card issued by the participant's City agency, provided it contains the agency name and a photograph
If you requested in-person pick up:
  • Requests made by 3:30 pm are ready within one hour.
  • Requests made after 3:30 pm are ready next business day.
  • The replacement card is held at the service center for three days and then mailed to your address on file.
  • If you come to the service center after the replacement card has been mailed, WageWorks will issue a new replacement card while you wait. The already mailed replacement card will be deactivated, so please discard it when it arrives in the mail.
If you requested the card to be mailed:
  • Requests made by 3:30 pm are mailed no later than next business day.
  • Requests made after 3:30 pm are mailed no later than 2nd business day.
  • All replacement cards are sent via USPS first-class mail.

What happens when I leave City employment?

You have 90 days after your separation date to spend the remaining funds in your Commuter account. Any future or pending orders will be cancelled after the 90 days and the remaining funds will be forfeited.

How can I check my Commuter account balance?

Use the following options to access your Commuter account balance with WageWorks:
  • Log on to your WageWorks account.
  • Call WageWorks at 877-WageWorks (877-924-3967) Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm and follow the prompts to check your balance. You will be required to provide the last four digits of your Employee Reference Number (ERN) and home zip code.
  • You can also check your balance via their mobile site.

For additional information or for questions on your Commuter Benefit options, visit WageWorks website or call 877-WageWorks (877-924-3967) Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm.