The Municipal Archives preserves and makes available New York City government's historical records. Our collections date from 1645 to the present. Records include office records, manuscripts, still and moving images, vital records, maps, blueprints, and sound recordings.
Collection highlights include:
- New Amsterdam records of the Dutch Colonial era, 1645-1758
- Mayoral collections, 1826-2013
- Vital Records, Census, and City Directories - resources for family history research
- Court Records, 1684 -1966- the largest, most comprehensive collection about the administration of criminal justice in the English-speaking world.
- Photograph collections- tax photographs depicting every NYC property in 1940 and 1980.
- Architectural Drawings: Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, etc.
Search our Collections.
Discover more about our work at archives.nyc.
Learn more about the Archives, Reference and Research Advisory Board (ARRAB).