2019 NYC TLC Safety Honor Roll
Acting Commissioner Bill Heinzen honors a Safe Base Honoree and ceremony speaker Bijoy Saha of Mavrik Transportation.
The 2019 TLC Safety Honor Roll is the sixth annual event recognizing TLC-licensed drivers who have outstanding records of safe driving over many years and millions of miles behind the wheel. The TLC has high standards for its 185,000 licensed drivers, and on a mile-per-mile basis TLC-licensed drivers are some of the safest drivers on New York City streets. The TLC reviewed all of its licensed drivers’ records and identified drivers who have, over four or more years, not had a single crash resulting in an injury, a single traffic violation, or a single violation of TLC safety-related rules. The 433 drivers on the 2019 TLC Safety Honor Roll represent a truly elite group.
The TLC Safety Honor Roll also honors taxi fleets, car service bases, and commuter van companies with superior safety records. These businesses play a crucial role in promoting safe driving practices in the for-hire transportation industry.
The TLC Accessibility Honor Roll recognizes drivers who have distinguished themselves as excellent providers of accessible service to our city’s wheelchair users. These yellow and green taxi drivers represent the highest and most consistent trip providers in the Accessible Dispatch program.
TLC also honors drivers that provide excellent customer service. These drivers went above and beyond with their passengers, who sent their compliments to TLC.
Taken as a whole, this year’s honorees are leading the way in TLC-regulated industries, improving service to the riding public and making our streets safer places to live and work.
Read the press release 16 October 2019 - TLC Hosts Sixth Annual Vision Zero Safety Honor Roll (PDF).
These remarkable drivers and businesses were recognized for their commitment to safety and service at a ceremony with their friends and families on October 16, 2019.
TLC Safety Honor Roll drivers have had no crashes involving fatality or injury, no traffic violations, and no violations of TLC safety-related rules for four or more years as TLC-licensed drivers.
- The 2019 Safety Honor Roll is comprised of 433 TLC-licensed drivers. Among our honorees, 307 drive yellow taxis, 186 drive for-hire vehicles, 58 drive green taxis, and 28 drive commuter vans.
- From 2017-2019, our Honor Roll drivers completed 4.7 million trips. With an average of 5 miles per trip, that’s the equivalent of 49 round trips to the moon and back and almost two thirds of the way to Mars at its closest point!
- This year, we have 101 repeat honorees: 1 driver has been honored six times, 7 drivers were honored five times, 20 drivers were honored four times, 56 drivers were honored three times, and 17 drivers were honored two times.
- Seven of our Safety Honor Roll drivers this year are women.
- Safety Honor Roll drivers hail from all five boroughs. Of the honorees, 39% are from Queens, 23% are from Brooklyn, 9% are from Manhattan, 18% are from the Bronx, and 3% are from Staten Island.
Facts about 2019 Safety Honor Roll Fleets, Bases & Van Companies
TLC Safety Honor Roll businesses have the lowest shares of vehicles involved in serious collisions (i.e., collisions with an injury) in their industry sectors in 2019.
- The honorees include four yellow taxi fleets, sixteen car service bases (seven small, five medium, and four large), and five commuter van companies.
- Each type of car service base is represented: five luxury limousine, three black car, and eight livery bases.
- All of our car service base and commuter van company honorees had zero crashes involving their affiliated vehicles in the past year.
- One business honoree – Ann Service Corp. – has been on the TLC Safety Honor Roll for three consecutive years.
- Our Fleet, Base & Van Company honorees are based out of all five boroughs. Six bases are located in Manhattan, thirteen are located in Queens, three are located in Brooklyn, one is located in the Bronx, and the remaining two are located outside the five boroughs.
Facts about 2019 Accessibility Honor Roll Drivers
TLC honored 22 taxi drivers for their superior service in TLC’s Accessible Dispatch Program.
- The Accessible Dispatch Program allows passengers with disabilities to have a yellow or green taxi dispatched to them for pickups and destinations anywhere in NYC by app, web, or phone.
- The highest number of Accessible Dispatch trips provided by an honoree was 353 trips from September 2018 to June 2019.
- Eight honorees have been honored two years in a row, and two honorees have been honored three years in a row for their high numbers of Accessible Dispatch trips.
- Our Accessibility Leaders averaged more than 250 accessible trips each since the citywide expansion of the Accessible Dispatch Program in 2018.
- Our Accessibility Leaders reside in all five boroughs, and cities outside of the five boroughs: 18% live in Manhattan, 27% live in the Bronx, 10% live in Brooklyn, 18% live in Queens, 4% live in Staten Island, and 23% live outside New York City.
Facts about 2019 Customer Service Honor Roll Drivers
TLC honored ten drivers for excellent customer service. TLC received formal compliments from their passengers commending their exceptional service.
- These drivers helped their passengers in a variety of ways, including assisting passengers in locating their misplaced items and providing a pleasant taxi experience.