For-Hire Vehicle Corporations
A business entity of any type, which holds one (1) or more For-Hire Vehicle (FHV) licenses is considered by TLC to be an FHV corporation. FHV corporations are engaged in the business of owning TLC licensed vehicles, used to transport passengers on a pre-arranged basis by TLC licensed drivers.
Please note: an FHV license is not transferable. While a business entity can be bought and sold, when an FHV license is issued, the license attaches to the EIN on the application and the EIN cannot be changed. The TLC license must remain attached to the initial EIN listed on the TLC application.
For information about an FHV license, please visit the For-Hire Vehicle page, which contains information about renewing an FHV license; TLC insurance requirements; and FHV inspection requirements. The information below applies specifically to FHV corporations.
Change of Company Ownership
Use the below instructions if any part of the FHV corporation changed owners or ownership amounts, including a partial ownership change between existing owners. All ownership changes must be reported to the TLC.
- To change the company ownership of an FHV corporation, email the below documents to FHVCorporation@tlc.nyc.gov:
- A completed For-Hire Vehicle (FHV) Corporation Change of Ownership and Information form;
- IRS issued CP-575 notice or 147-C letter;
- Filing receipt or certificate of formation;
- Itemized bill of sale listing all ownership interest(s) being transferred, signed by all buyers and all sellers, and signed by the (relative) majority shareholder; and
- Valid government issued photo ID for all owners transferring any interest, and all buyers buying any interest in the company.
- Any FHV corporation owned either solely or partially by another business entity must also email shareholder meeting minutes or the LLC’s business operating agreement, along with valid government issued photo ID for the (relative) majority shareholder of the parent company (if applicable).
Change of Company Officer(s) and / or Company Contact Information
Use these instructions to update company officers, but only where no ownership interest has changed.
Use these instructions to update a company’s records on file with TLC (e.g., change of address, phone number, or company name).
Note: the updated company name must be updated on all DMV documents (registration) and insurance documents prior to submitting the request to TLC.
Bulk vehicle, plate, and base transfers & Bulk storage removal
Follow the instructions below to remove multiple FHV licenses from storage, as well as request a vehicle, plate, or base transfer.
Note: a plate transfer request is required to replace previously surrendered TC plates when removing a vehicle from storage. Additionally, suspensions and fines attached to an FHV license must be cleared prior to removing the license from storage. Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) may be required to submit documentation from the vehicle modifier / up-fitter during the licensure process.
- Complete the Bulk For-Hire Vehicle (FHV) Transfer form, available on the TLC website.
- Note: a check-mark must be placed next to each vehicle license number (section 3, Vehicle Information) requesting new plates (plate transfer) and being removed from storage (two checks for both).
- Email the below documents (each required per FHV) to FHVCorporation@tlc.nyc.gov:
- A completed Bulk For-Hire Vehicle (FHV) Transfer form;
- All vehicle license numbers listed on the Bulk Transfer form must belong to the same company & have the same EIN; if not, use separate forms.
- Old DMV registration or plate surrender receipt (FS-6);
- Current for-hire insurance certificate (FH-1);
- Current certificate of liability or declaration. Coverage must meet TLC’s minimum insurance requirements;
- Vehicle title (vehicle transfers only);
- Valid government issued photo ID; and
- TLC power of attorney and valid government issued photo ID (if applicable).
- If the Transfer / Storage request is accepted, TLC will send you an email with instructions to make the transfer payment online, and will also contain a digital plate letter to drop off at a DMV processing center (locations below):
|Jamaica Processing Center
168-25 Jamaica Avenue, 2nd floor
Jamaica, NY 11432
Harlem Processing Center
159 East 125 Street, 3rd floor
New York, NY 10035
- You will then be sent both a new registration and new TC plates from the DMV.
- Visit LARS to make the transfer payment, online. Transfers cost twenty-five dollars ($25.00) per transfer, and an additional seventy-five dollars ($75.00) if the vehicle requires a DMV inspection.
- Email a copy of the new registration for each vehicle to FHVCorporation@tlc.nyc.gov. Enter the vehicle license number (on the TLC decal/sticker/diamond) in the email subject line.
- TLC will email you inspection appointment information containing an inspection date and time for each vehicle.
Vehicle Decal Replacements
Use these instructions to request an updated TLC decal for an FHV requiring decal replacement.
- Complete and submit the Bulk Credential Replacement form, available on the TLC website.
- Email a copy / picture of your government issued photo ID and the completed Bulk Credential Replacement form to FHVCorporation@tlc.nyc.gov;
- After the request is processed, you will be sent instructions to make the credential replacement payment online, using LARS; and
- TLC will email you a TLC digital referral form to have the decal(s) reprinted at the TLC’s Woodside facility.