Taximeter Manufacturers are licensed by the Commission to create taximeters for use New
York City. Only taximeters made by a licensed Taximeter Manufacturer may be installed or used
in Taxicabs or Street-Hail Liveries. Writing the codebase for a software-based taximeter (but not
calibrating an instance for a specific vehicle) is considered manufacturing a taximeter.
All taximeters in New York City must comply with the following requirements:
Before being used in New York City, all taximeters must receive National Type Evaluation Program (NTEP) certification. There are only two facilities in the country that certify taximeters:
- The California Division of Measurement Standards
- New York State Bureau of Weights and Measures.
Visit the National Conference on Weights and Measures website to learn more about the NTEP certification process.
Get a Taximeter Manufacturer License
Step 1: NTEP Certification (if already NTEP certified, skip to step 2)
- Review the National Institute of Standards and Technology Handbook 44 to ensure compliance with all regulations.
- Contact the National Conference on Weights and Measures to apply for taximeter certification.
- Your system will be assigned to a laboratory for bench and field testing.
- Upon approval, you will be issued an NTEP certificate.
Step 2: Submit Application to TLC
- TLC staff will perform bench and field testing to ensure the meter complies with Chapter 64 of TLC Rules including proper programming of all TLC-mandated rates of fare including proper programming of all TLC-mandated rates of fare.
- The applicant must name a licensed Taximeter Business that will perform the meter installation. TLC staff will inspect the Taximeter Business to ensure it is properly equipped and trained to perform the installation.
- The applicant must install meters in working taxis and present those taxis for inspection.
Step 4: Final Documentation and Approval
After approval of the system the applicant will submit 1-2 page documentation with screenshots showing regulators how to do the following:
- Turn the meter on.
- Log in to the meter (if necessary)
- Start a trip.
- End a trip
- Print an accumulative totalizer receipt
Renew or Update an Existing Taximeter Manufacturer License
Taximeter manufacturers must renew their application every 31st day of March.
- Read the TLC application renew instructions
- Complete the Taximeter Manufacturer Renew License Application
- Use the online reservation system to make an appointment to file your application.
- Pay the renewal fee online using LARS (renewals only).