Replace TLC Driver License / Credential Replacement
Use the information below if you need to replace your TLC driver license, also known as Credential Replacement. Submit a TLC Driver License Replacement request when a TLC license was lost, stolen, or damaged; requires an updated picture or name change; or was recently lost in the mail.
TLC Driver License Replacement requests must be submitted in person, by making an appointment at the TLC's Long Island City facility. Appointments are made using TLC's online appointment system.
Note: TLC licensees with a non-New York State DMV license must bring an official copy of their DMV record (abstract), dated within ninety (90) days of the license replacement appointment.
Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.
What is a TLC Driver License Replacement / Credential Replacement request?
- A TLC driver license replacement request is submitted when a TLC driver needs to replace a TLC driver license (the credential).
When to submit a TLC Driver License Replacement request / Credential Replacement
- Submit a license replacement request if your TLC driver license was lost, stolen, or damaged; when a photo update is required; and after a legal name change where the TLC license must also be changed.
- To replace a TLC driver license after changing your name, you must change your DMV license to the new name before the TLC license can be changed. Bring the updated DMV license to the TLC license replacement appointment.
- You can also submit a license replacement request if TLC mailed you a TLC driver license, but you have not received it after ten (10) business days. Only then can the license be considered "lost in the mail."
How to submit a License Replacement / Credential Replacement request
To submit a driver license replacement request
- Pay & clear all outstanding fines, suspensions, judgments, and tickets owed to TLC, DMV, Department of Finance (DOF), or other City / State agency
- Complete the Credential Replacement request form
- Collect and bring all required documents to your TLC license replacement appointment. If all the required documents are not brought to the appointment, you will not be issued a replacement license and will need to make a new appointment to submit the remaining documents:
Documents required to replace a TLC driver license
- Completed Credential Replacement request form
- Your DMV license showing a valid Chauffer's class.
Note: TLC licensees with a non-NY State DMV license must also bring an official DMV driving record (abstract) dated within ninety (90) days of the TLC license replacement appointment.
- If you have a NYS interim DMV driver license, you must bring an additional form of government issued photo ID (ex: Passport or Permanent Resident / Green Card).
- Twenty-five dollar ($25.00) license replacement fee, payable by Debit / Credit Card, or Money Order; cash is not accepted.
- Schedule a TLC License Replacement appointment at TLC's Long Island City facility to submit your request and required documents. Schedule your appointment using TLC's online appointment system (link);
- Attend your TLC driver license replacement appointment. Bring the completed credential replacement request form, all required documents, and payment.