Licensing Requirements Checklist - text notification
TLC cannot give you a license until you have submitted all items and they have been reviewed and approved. The text message(s) and emails we send you will list which item(s) you are missing. The table below tells you how to complete each missing requirement.
If you are missing requirements you can upload them using our new upload portal TLC UP. If you need more information on the remaining steps for getting a license visit Get a Drivers License.
If you still need help Email TLC at LicensingInquiries@tlc.nyc.gov.
Defensive Driving Course (DDC)
You must have completed a New York State DMV-certified Defensive Driving Course no more than three (3) years prior to the date you filed your application or within 90 days of submitting your online application.
TLC Driver Education
If you applied for a new TLC Driver License you must attend a 24 hour TLC course at an authorized school. Contact a school to sign up for a course in Drivers Education. You must complete the course and pass the required exam within 90 days of the day you file your application. To learn more about the TLC education requirements, please visit Drivers Education.
Life Experience Exemption: Any applicant for a driver license will not be required to take the Authorized Driver Education Training provided they:
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) Training
- Held a Taxicab Driver License , For-Hire Driver license or TLC Driver License
- None of these driver licenses were revoked or expired while revocation charges were pending or surrendered while license revocation charges were pending.
- If applying less than 2 years from the expiration date of prior license, the applicant held a previous license for a total of at least 10 years
- If applying more than 2 years but less than 5 years after the expiration date of a prior license, the applicant held a previous license for a total of at least 15 years.
- Applicant meets other requirements for obtaining new TLC Driver license.
- Applicant has no outstanding fines on prior held licenses.
- Pass Final Exam
- You must pass the final exam within 90 days of the date you filed your application with TLC.
Contact a school to schedule an exam, visit Drivers Education.
- TLC also provides sample exams for review
You must take the WAV Training Course. Contact a school to sign up for training, visit Drivers Education
- Incomplete Medical Form - You must upload a completed TLC medical form in TLC Up. The Medical Certification Form - New Driver Applicant (PDF) must be completed by a licensed physician.
- Expired Medical Form - Your TLC medical form cannot be dated more than 90 days before the date you filed your TLC application. You must upload in TLC UP a new The Medical Certification Form - New Driver Applicant (PDF).
- Unpaid TLC Summonses - You must pay all of your unpaid TLC summonses, visit LARS.
All other TLC summonses can be paid either in person at the Long Island City address above (3rd Floor) or by mail with copies of the summons letter. If your summonses were recently paid, upload in TLC Up a copy of your receipt.
- DMV License - You must upload on TLC Up a copy of your DMV license
- DMV Chauffer’s License - Your DMV license is not the correct class for TLC. You must provide a valid DMV chauffeur’s license (linkto: https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/get-driver-license-drive-taxi-cab-or-livery-vehicle) or its equivalent. Once your class is updated, you must upload on TLC Up (linkto: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/industry/jump_tlcup_portal.shtml) a copy of your new DMV license.
- Unpaid Traffic and Parking Tickets:
- You must pay all of your unpaid DMV traffic tickets. Check with the DMV for more information on paying traffic tickets visit Plead to or pay TVB tickets.
- Pay parking tickets, visit Pay a Parking Ticket.
- If your tickets were recently paid, upload to TLC Up a copy of the clearance letter from the DMV or copy of your receipt.
- Suspended DMV License - Your DMV license is suspended. Check with the DMV about how to clear your suspension visit Suspensions and revocations. Once you have cleared the suspension, you must upload a copy of your license and clearance letter from the DMV to TLC Up.
- Out of State DMV Driver Record - You must upload to TLC Up a copy of your out of state driver record. Contact your state’s DMV to obtain your record. The record cannot be older than 90 days.
- Probation Officer Status Letter - You must upload on TLC Up a copy of a probation status letter (on official letterhead) from your probation officer. This letter should state that you are complying with the terms of your probation.
- Parole Officer Status Letter - You must upload on TLC Up a copy of a parole status letter (on official letterhead) from your parole officer. This letter should state that you are complying with the terms of your parole.
- Court Disposition for New York State Criminal Record - You must upload on TLC Up a copy of the court disposition for each crime you have been convicted of. To get a court disposition in New York State, contact the court in which your case was heard.
- Court Disposition for Federal or Out of State Criminal Record - Your fingerprint results have alerted TLC that you may have an out of state or federal criminal record. You must upload on TLC Up a copy of the court disposition for any crime you have been convicted of. To get a court disposition, contact the court in which your case was heard.
- Child Support Record - There are issues with your child support record. Once you are current with child support payments, you must obtain a clearance letter by visiting the New York City Office of Child Support Enforcement in person. The letter must specifically reference The NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission. It is only valid for 30 days. You must upload on TLC Up.
- Drug Test - You must take and pass a drug test at an approved test site download New Driver Applicant Drug Test Information (PDF).
- Inactive 19A Status - Your 19A status is inactive. You must contact your paratransit or commuter van employer so they can contact the NYS DMV to update your records.
- TLC Photo Needed - To retake your photo, please bring your DMV license and TLC application receipt with you to the Long Island City address above.
- Fingerprints and Photo Needed - After filing the application, schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints and photo taken. Visit IdentoGo to schedule an appointment and to obtain more information. Service code: 15425Y.