Yellow Taxi Passenger Bill of Rights
As a taxi rider, you have the right to:
- Not be refused service based on your race, ethnicity, cultural background, disability, gender or sexual orientation;
- Travel with a service animal;
- Be driven to any destination in NYC, Westchester, Nassau or Newark Airport;
- A driver licensed by the TLC and whose license is displayed inside the vehicle;
- A clean and safe taxicab with working seatbelts for all passengers;
- Take the most direct route to your destination or follow the route of your choice;
- Request the driver adjust the heat, air-conditioning and radio;
- Use the E-ZPass lanes and pay the E-ZPass toll rate;
- Pay by cash, credit or debit card;
- Decide whether to tip and how much to tip your driver;
- Not pay an additional amount for baggage or help loading your belongings;
- A driver who is safe and courteous and obeys all traffic laws;
- A driver who does not use a cell phone (hand-held or hands-free) while driving;
- A driver who knows city geography;
- Clean air, free of smoke and scent;
- A quiet trip without horn honking.
Read the Bill of Rights in other languages below:
If you feel your rights were violated by a taxicab driver visit Yellow Taxi Complaint.
Take your receipt
Visit 311 Online for additional information.