Sports and Recreation
The NYC Department of Veterans' Services (DVS) connects veterans to sports and recreation services that promote healing and community engagement, including adaptive sports and therapeutic arts programs.
Veterans with disabilities and those battling PTSD can use sports as a therapeutic tool on the road to recovery. Veterans with mental health injuries, physical injuries, or illnesses are encouraged to use sports and recreation programs to boost their self-esteem and improve their emotional and physical health.
Connect to sports and recreation programs by filling out the VetConnectNYC form and selecting "Sports and Recreation" as your preferred service:
Request Services on VetConnectNYC
See below for a list of sport and recreation services and programs available throughout the City:
Click a topic, or press the enter key on a topic, to reveal its answer.
Sports Programs for Veterans
- Veterans Yoga Project (VVP): Instructors teach over 100 free yoga classes each week for veterans and their families.
- Team Red White and Blue (Team RWB): Through community chapters and an online app, Team RWB delivers virtual and local, consistent, and inclusive opportunities for veterans and the community to connect through physical and social activity. Volunteers host regular fitness activities, social gatherings, and community service events, and facilitate building strong local connections with members and organizations within the community.
- Veterans On Guard Fencing Program: The Fencers Club Veterans On Guard Fencing Program provides the highest level of training and competition for those interested in fencing. The program is open to all honorably discharged veterans and active service members. Fencers Club provides use of its state-of-the-art facility, world-class instruction, and all necessary fencing equipment.
- Veterans Under Sail Sailing Program: Veterans are eligible to join Soldiers Under Sail, Hudson River Community Sailings' veterans sailing program to learn sailing and earn a US Sailing certification.
- Veterans in The Ring Boxing Program: Gleasons Gym offers a free training program for veterans looking to learn boxing skills
Adaptive Sports Programs and Events
- VA's Office of National Veterans Sports Programs and Special Events provides veterans with opportunities for health and healing through adaptive sports and therapeutic art programs. These specialized rehabilitation events aim to optimize veterans' independence, community engagement, well-being, and quality of life.
Learn more about special events. For general information or to learn how to get involved today, contact us at email@example.com.
- Interested in becoming a Paralympic athlete? The VA National Veterans Sports Programs & Special Events Office provides a monthly assistance allowance for veterans with disabilities training in Paralympic sports, as well as certain veterans with disabilities selected for or competing with the national Olympic Team. Learn more about Athlete Stipend Program.
Please note: Medical clearance is required to participate in VA Adaptive Sports Programs. To obtain medical clearance, contact Jonathan Glasberg, VA NY Harbor, at 212-686-7500 ext 7779 or firstname.lastname@example.org.