The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as Food Stamps, helps people with limited income buy food.
- If you already get Food Stamps and need help, contact the Food Stamp Center where your case is currently serviced.
- If you have questions about Food Stamps, you can visit a Food Stamp Center for assistance.
How to apply
- Apply online using ACCESS NYC.
- Call Infoline at (718) 557-1399 to have an application mailed to you.
- Pick up an application at a Food Stamp Center.
- Print out an application and drop it off at a Food Stamp Center.
- The Human Resources Administration will contact you and make an appointment within five days of receiving your application. You will have an option for a telephone interview.
- If you apply at a local Food Stamp Center, you can be interviewed the same day.
- If you are eligible for Food Stamps, you will receive them within 30 days.
- If you qualify for expedited processing, you will get an interview within 2 days and you can receive your benefits within 5 days.
- You can download (PDF) a list of eligibility requirements and necessary documentation.
- Community Based Organizations also screen applicants for eligibility and can help you apply for Food Stamps.
You are not required to screen for eligibility before applying for Food Stamps.
- If you would like to make a complaint about the Food Stamps program, call the Human Resources Administration's Central Complaint Unit at (718) 291-4141.