Senior Citizen Homeowners’ Exemption (SCHE)

This program provides a property tax exemption for senior citizens who own one, two, or three family homes, condominiums, or cooperative apartments.


Did You Lose Your Homeowners Benefit?


  • Age: Applicants must be 65 years of age or older in the year that they apply. (For example, if the filing due date is March 15, 2017, you would need to be 65 by December 31, 2017). If you own your property with either a spouse or sibling, only one of you needs to meet this age requirement.
  • Income: The combined income of all owners and their spouses cannot be more than $37,399. Income includes, but is not limited to, Social Security, retirement benefits, interest, dividends, IRA earnings, capital gains, net rental income, salary or earnings and net income from self-employment.
  • Residency: All owners must occupy the property and have it as their primary residence unless:
    • One of the owners is a non-resident because he or she is a spouse or used to be a spouse of the resident owner and is not living there because of divorce, legal separation or abandonment.
    • One of the owners is absent because he or she is receiving health-related services as an in-patient of a residential health care facility.
    If either of these situations applies, the only person who can reside on the property during that period is the spouse or co-owner.

Note: You cannot receive both SCHE and DHE (Disabled Homeowners' Exemption). If you qualify for both, we will only grant SCHE.

The table below helps you estimate how much your assessed value might be reduced by.

If the Owners' Income Is Between (SCHE) Can Reduce The Assessed Value By
$36,500 and $37,399 5%
$35,600 and $36,499 10%
$34,700 and $35,599 15%
$33,800 and $34,699 20%
$32,900 and $33,799 25%
$32,000 and $32,899 30%
$31,000 and $31,999 35%
$30,000 and $30,999 40%
$29,001 and $29,999 45%
$0 and $29,000 50%

Your Homeowner Tax Benefits Application and all required documents must be postmarked by March 15 (or the next business day if March 15 is on a weekend) for your exemption to begin on July 1 in the same year.

Please note that if you are a senior citizen who currently receives SCHE on your home and you sell your current New York City property and purchase a new one in the City after the filing deadline has passed, you can have your SCHE benefit moved to your new property by submitting an application within 30 days of the purchase of your new property.

Note for Property Owners: You may also be eligible to receive the following exemptions: Clergy, Disabled Homeowners, and Veterans. Read More

Application To Remove Previously Granted Exemption(s)


By law you have to renew your Senior Citizen Homeowner Exemption every two years in order to continue receiving it.

You will receive a notice from the Department of Finance when it is time to file your renewal application. For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Need Help? Contact 311 or Email Us.