Water Complaint

You can make a water complaint. When reporting no hot water, no water, low water pressure, or scalding hot water in an apartment building, you must provide your contact information.

If the water is dirty and also has other problems, you only need to make a dirty water complaint.

The City does not respond to problems caused by internal conditions. The problem is internal if:

  • It is occurring in only one location, such as the bathroom or kitchen
  • The water clears after it has run for 5 to 10 minutes
  • No other tenants in a multi-family building are having the same problem

If a licensed plumber has determined that the problem is not the property owner's responsibility, you can ask the City to investigate.