Customer Use Policy
New York City engages customers through many digital outlets, including NYC.gov and 311 Online. Communicating with the City through social media further enables customers to contact the City in a direct and meaningful way.
Please be aware that when engaging with the City of New York over social media, you are agreeing to the following:
Commenting on an NYC Social Media Site
New York City agencies share information, images and video with the public through external social media websites. Comments made by the public to these sites are reviewed and, while comments will not be edited by City personnel, a comment may be deleted if it violates the comment policy described here.
- Comments should be related to the posted topic for the
City's social media page or post. New York City agency social
media accounts are not meant for comments that do not directly
relate to the purpose or topic of the social media website
or for service requests. For general comments or communications
concerning an agency, please contact the agency's Commissioner
on www.NYC.gov. For service requests, please contact www.NYC.gov/311.
- You are subject to the Terms of Service (TOS) of the host site. Information (photos, videos, etc.) you share with or post to official New York City agency pages is also subject to the TOS of the host site and may be used by the owners of the host site for their own purposes. For more information, consult the host website's TOS.
- NYC social media accounts are not open to comments promoting or opposing any person campaigning for election to a political office, or promotion or advertisement of a business or commercial transaction.
- The use of obscene, threatening or harassing language is prohibited.
- Personal attacks of any kind or offensive comments that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation or disability status are prohibited.
- Comments advocating illegal activity or posting of material that violates copyrights or trademarks of others are prohibited.
- This comment policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time.
Users are welcome to submit or post content, including photographs and videos, to an official New York City site where the agency allows users to post content, the content meets the standards articulated in this Customer Use Policy and pertains to the subject of the social media site. Users may only post their own, original content. Reproduced or borrowed content that reasonably appears to violate third party rights will be deleted.
To request a reasonable accommodation when accessing New
York City social media sites, please contact the Mayor's
Office of Disabilities by calling 212-788-2830.
Questions or Concerns
Questions or concerns regarding New York City's social media activity, the City's social media policy and/or this Customer Use Policy should be submitted online.