NYC Film Green is now open and accepting applications!
NYC Film Green is the first sustainability program for the film and television industry in the United States administered by a government agency. NYC Film Green is a voluntary program that enables productions engaging in environmentally-conscious practices to apply for and receive recognition for their efforts. NYC Film Green is greening New York City’s film and television industry one production at a time and setting the gold standard for best practices in sustainable film and television production throughout the world.
Please see below for requirements and application forms.
Click here to download the NYC Film Green brochure.
Getting Your Production Involved in NYC Film Green
Many productions are already engaging in environmentally-conscious practices. MOME will work closely with your production to apply for, and receive, recognition for such efforts.
Once your production receives a NYC Film Green designation, it will receive an NYC Film Green mark of distinction that can be placed in end credits and in any marketing and promotional materials in connection with the production. Productions that have demonstrated exceptional efforts in on set sustainability will have the opportunity to receive additional recognition from MOME.
NYC Film Green assesses efforts by productions to engage in sustainable production practices that fall under the following general categories:
- Waste reduction: TV and film productions are encouraged to reduce their waste output through waste diversion efforts such as donations, recycling, waste composting, sustainable set design, and limiting purchases of disposable items.
- Energy conservation: NYC Film Green encourages energy conservation by recognizing various efforts, such as hybrid vehicle rentals, use of LED lighting, and the use of sustainable transportation for crews.
- Education: Education and awareness is a consistent element of any NYC Film Green production through pre-production trainings of all producers and staff, as well as production-related departments. All aspects of greening a production, from sustainable vendors to on-set best practices, will be discussed with production staff. Participating productions will engage PAs on set to coordinate and track sustainability efforts.
In order to obtain NYC Film Green designation, productions will have to engage in sustainable practices before, during and after shooting, including the following:
- Enrollment in the program
- Tracking information via accounting data
- Crew education and training
- Contracting with sustainable vendors (e.g., waste disposal, caterers, transportation)
- Developing sustainability plan, based on needs assessment meetings conducted with all departments, including off-production departments
- Coordinating sustainable behavior in the specified target areas
- Utilizing PAs and/or consultants to track waste reduction efforts
- Preparing halfway report: Evaluating success of sustainability efforts halfway through production and adjusting behavior where necessary
- After wrap, verifying submitted information
- Productions submit documentation to verify their sustainability claims
- Reviewing invoices from vendors, accounting data, reports, etc. Every production enrolled in NYC Film Green will be responsible for documenting their participation, and MOME will review documents to verify compliance before awarding the NYC Film Green mark of distinction.
Below are the required documents for NYC Film Green participation and submission:
Click here to download the NYC Film Green Application
At the end of production, you will be required to submit the following documents:
- NYC Film Green Submission Form
- Click here to access the Green Production Guide PEAR (Carbon Calculator +)
- NYC Film Green Affidavit Form (If you employed a third-party consultant to assist with the greening of your production, please click here to download the Sustainability Representative Affidavit. Both forms should be submitted.)
For more information on NYC Film Green’s requirements, click here for the NYC Film Green Requirements Guide.
For more information about NYC Film Green, sustainability 101, and materials to educate a production’s cast and crew, click here for the NYC Film Green Educational Materials.
Completed forms and questions about NYC Film Green may be sent to Anna Bessendorf at email@example.com. We will respond as soon as possible.
Film Green NYC FAQ's
News and Press
Tips for Productions