Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) Forms
2017 SCRIE applications are now available.
New forms feature an eligibility checklist, income worksheet, application, and frequently asked questions. You have the option to download the entire packet (recommended) or simply the application pieces you need. Larger print versions are also available for your convenience.
2017 forms are available for applicants applying between January 6, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
Important: Tenants/applicants who were unable to renew their Rent Freeze benefit because they needed more time to file due to a disability or physical or mental impairment, should submit either an "Application for Additional Time to Renew Lapsed Benefit" or an "Application for Additional Time to Renew Expired Benefit" which was mailed to them. Applications are also available at the NYC Department of Finance SCRIE/DRIE Walk-In Center located at 66 John Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10038 and NYC Department of Finance business centers.
Redesigned Rent Stabilized Renewal, Rent Controlled Renewal, and Rent Demand Renewal applications will also be available. For tenants whose benefits will be expiring soon, you will continue to receive the pre-populated renewal applications via US mail approximately 60 days prior to your benefit end date. Utilize the generic renewal applications available on this page only if you have not received or lost the one sent in the mail.
Note: Please discard all older versions of the initial, renewal, and benefit takeover applications as they will not be accepted for processing past December 5, 2016. All applicants submitting older versions of the forms past December 5, 2016, will be required to re-submit the new version to complete their application.
Documents on this page are provided in pdf format.
- Certification by Renewal Applicant without a Lease - Use this form in lieu of a lease if you have made several attempts to obtain a signed lease from your landlord and still have not received one.
- Apartment Benefit Transfer Application - Use this form if you have moved into another rent regulated apartment, room or hotel unit and would like to transfer your SCRIE benefit.
- Redetermination Application - Use this application to apply for a redetermination of your SCRIE frozen rent amount because you have experienced a permanent loss of 20% or more of your combined household income as compared to the income you reported in your last approved SCRIE application.
- Benefit Takeover Application (Fill-in form only) - Use this form to apply for a takeover of the SCRIE benefit from a current SCRIE beneficiary who has permanently left the household (Moved, passed away, permanently placed in a nursing home, etc.). You must submit this application within six (6) months of the SCRIE beneficiary’s death or permanent move or within ninety (90) days of date of the tenant deceased notice from NYC Department of Finance, whichever is later.
Translations coming soon.
- Large Print Benefit Takeover Application
- SCRIE <--> DRIE Transfer Application - Use this form to transfer from the SCRIE to DRIE program or DRIE to SCRIE program. A SCRIE <-> DRIE transfer cannot be granted if the application is received more than 6 months after the original benefit expires.
- Appeal Application - Use this form to appeal a decision made by SCRIE.
- Tax Abatement Credit (TAC) Adjustment Application - Use this form if you are presently receiving a SCRIE benefit and wish to apply for an adjustment due to a discrepancy in TAC, fuel cost adjustment, MCI increase or J-51 reduction.
You may also apply by contacting Access NYC.