Administration for Children's Services311Search all websites

Family Assessment Program (FAP)

One person hugging another with the title reading 'help for you and your teen.' N Y C Children logo is underneath the title.

FAP Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question, or press the enter key on a question to reveal its answer.

What is FAP?

Any family can get help from the ACS Family Assessment Program.

FAP provides support to families that are struggling with everyday challenges. FAP works to strengthen families, reduce conflict, and connect your family to many services that provide ongoing support in your community. It helps families handle concerns such as a child running away, skipping school, or disruptive behavior, without having to go to court.

Contact us today for free help if your teen is in crisis. Email or see phone numbers below.

Is FAP a good fit for my family?

FAP serves families with children who are up to 18 years old and are struggling to relate to one another. You can get help from FAP when your child is:

  • Skipping school, or having difficulties with teachers or classes
  • Missing or consistently running away from home
  • Using drugs or alcohol
  • Associating with negative peers
  • Struggling with mental illness
  • Displaying defiant or dangerous behavior

What can I expect from FAP?

FAP staff will introduce you to the program and explain how we can help. They will:

  • Talk to your family to understand the circumstances which brought you to FAP
  • Identify the most helpful and practical options for resolving your family's concerns
  • Introduce you to a range of services in or close to your home that are designed to help you

A social worker who specializes in family crisis resolution will interview you if you decide to participate.

The worker will ask questions about your family's concerns, strengths, and circumstances which we will use to plan with you and refer your family to one or more supportive community programs.

What type of services would my family receive through FAP?

FAP staff can refer your family to a wide range of therapeutic options such as:

  • Crisis intervention
  • Mediation
  • Family counseling
  • Substance abuse services
  • Domestic violence programs
  • Anger management programs
  • Mental health services

Services vary in intensity and duration depending on FAP's assessment of your family's needs.

Am I required to participate in FAP?

FAP services are completely voluntary. However, families seeking access to the New York City Family Court through the PINS (Persons In Need of Supervision) system must participate in FAP before a PINS petition can be filed.

Do I need to have an open ACS case to receive FAP services?

Families are not required to have an open investigation with ACS to obtain help. However, a case will be voluntarily opened when the family is referred to a preventive agency that is contracted through FAP. A case opened voluntarily is not the same as an open ACS child welfare investigation case.

What happens if FAP is unable to resolve my family's concerns?

You can choose to file a PINS petition with the Family Court to seek the Court's help to supervise your child. FAP staff will help you file the petition.

Our FAP offices are currently closed to the public, but all inquiries and assessments can be done via phone and/or video. We connect families to evidence-based therapeutic services as well as community-based organizations. Please reach FAP by email and by phone:

  • Bronx office: 718-664-1800
  • Brooklyn office: 646-584-5178 / 347-907-0464 / 646-584-8935
  • Manhattan office: 212-341-0012
  • Staten Island office: 718-720-0418 / 646-276-4170
  • Queens office: 646-599-3308 / 718-725-3244

The email box and phones are answered Monday through Friday 9-5, and all messages will be returned.

Download FAP Brochure

Translations Available: العربية | বাংলা | Español | 繁體中文 | Русский | 한국어 | Polski | اردو | Kreyòl ayisyen | Français

Please write to with any questions or comments.

Programs & Initiatives