The NYC Department of Correction is looking for bright, energetic and motivated students to share our commitment to enhancing public safety. The Summer Internship Program reflects the Commissioner’s commitment to establish an organizational culture of continuous learning and knowledge sharing.
The program will offer both undergraduate and graduate/law students a unique opportunity to gain valuable professional experience in the fields of correction, criminal justice, mental health, public policy and administration, city government and management.
Interns may be assigned to one of several divisions throughout the agency, including but not limited to:
• Labor Relations
• Facility Maintenance Repair Division
• Central Office of Procurement
• Criminal Justice Bureau
• Correctional Information Bureau
• Health Management Division
• Human Resources
• Public Information
• Office of Constituent and Grievance Services (OCGS)
• Youthful Offender & Adult Programming
• Health Affairs
o Law Library
o General Counsel
• The Academy
• Investigations Division
• Applicant Investigation Unit
Assignments may either be located at Bulova Corporate Center or on Rikers Island.
In order to be considered, applicants must:
• Be matriculated in a BA/BS, MA/MS/MBA, or a professional degree program
• Submit to a background check
• Demonstrate a deep interest in criminal justice; dedication to public service; as well as a responsible work ethic
• Submit a cover letter and resume indicating their interest during the application period
Interns will receive hourly compensation on a maximum work week of 28 hours, Monday through Thursday.
Undergraduate will receive $15/hour
Graduate/Law Students will receive $20/hour
The program period will run from June 3, 2019 to August 9, 2019.
Applications will be accepted from mid-February through March of each year.To apply:
• Email a copy of your cover letter (include area of interest) and resume with Summer Internship Program in the subject line to SummerInternship@doc.nyc.gov
• Learn more about the Department of Correction at nyc.gov/doc
Applications received after the deadline may be placed on a wait list.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/H/V