Home Improvement Contractor License


NOTE: Home Improvement Contractor Licenses are issued by the Department of Consumer Affairs.

A person or business must have a Home Improvement Contractor License if engaged in the construction, repair, remodeling, or addition to any land or building used as a residence. This includes, but is not limited to, the construction, replacement, or improvement of basements, driveways, fences, garages, landscaping, patios, porches, sidewalks, swimming pools, terraces, and other improvements to structures or upon land that is next to a home or apartment building.

This description is only a general explanation of who must have a Home Improvement Contractor License. To obtain a Home Improvement Contractor License, please contact the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs.

Please contact 311 for additional information.