Booting Company License Application Checklist
For health and safety reasons, the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) Licensing Center and NYC Small Business Support Center cannot serve walk-ins, but you can schedule an appointment to submit your license application in person. See Application Filing Process section.
Note: As in-person service is limited, we encourage you to use our online service which is available 24/7.
Who Must Have a Booting Company License?
A person or business must have a Booting Company license to put wheel locks on illegally parked vehicles.
Wheel locks, also known as boots, are used to enforce parking rules for private parking lots or streets by preventing illegally parked vehicles from being moved until a charge is paid.
This description is only a general explanation of who must have a Booting Company license.
Quick List of Requirements to Apply for a Booting Company License
See Requirements section for detailed descriptions. Make sure you provide all requirements; otherwise, your application is incomplete. DCWP can only consider complete applications for license issuance.
- Basic License Application
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number
- Business Certificate
- Booting Company Business Information
- Copy of your $5,000 Surety Bond (or Third Party Bond), properly signed
- List of Fees
- Three Current Color Passport-size Photographs of License Applicant
- Fingerprints and Processing Fee
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation (if applicable)
- License Fee
Submitting your application does not mean your license is automatically approved.
Important Message about Business Certificate
You must have the applicable Business Certificate based on your business’s legal structure.
Sole proprietors operating under a name other than your own must have a Business/Assumed Name Certificate.
Partnerships must have a Partnership Certificate and, if applicable, an Assumed Name Certificate for your business.
Corporations, Limited Partnerships, Limited Liability Companies, or Limited Liability Partnerships must register and remain active with the New York State Division of Corporations. You can check your status at dos.ny.gov/corps.
- Basic License Application.
Online submission: After reviewing the requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application.
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number.
To apply for a Certificate of Authority in order to collect sales tax, visit businessexpress.ny.gov.
- Business Certificate.
See Description above.
- Booting Company Business Information (download)
Applicants must indicate which credit cards the business will accept, identify the location where required records are kept, and list the locations where the business will engage in the booting of vehicles.
- Copy of your $5,000 Surety Bond (or Third Party Bond), properly signed.
The copy of the bond must name the City of New York as the Certificate Holder. Your corporate name, Doing-Business-As (DBA) name (if any), and premises address must be exactly the same on all documents. You must also submit a copy of the bond receipt showing that the bond has been paid in full and does not expire before the end of the licensing period.
Download a list of bonding companies. Note: The list is not exhaustive, and DCWP does not endorse or recommend any particular bonding company.
- List of Fees.
If your business will boot vehicles on private streets, submit a list of fees you charge for services. The list must be on your business’ letterhead.
- Three Current Color Passport-size Photographs of License Applicant.
Each individual named on the license application must submit three current color passport-size photographs of themselves.
- Fingerprints and Processing Fee.
All sole proprietors, general partners, corporate officers, principals, directors, members, and all shareholders owning more than 10% of company stock must schedule an appointment with IdentoGO to be fingerprinted:
- Visit uenroll.identogo.com
- Service Code. Enter 1585SN
- Agency ID. Enter numbers only from Record ID Number. Record ID Number is on your receipt or confirmation letter when you apply online. (Example: For Record ID Number 12345-2021-AHIC, enter only 123452021 as Agency ID.)
- Follow the instructions and pay the required fee(s).
IMPORTANT: Anyone required to be fingerprinted should schedule an appointment as soon as possible to complete this requirement.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation, if applicable (download Affirmation).
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application.
Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
- License Fee.
License Period: 2 years | Expiration Date: December 31, Odd Years.
|If You File Your Application Between These Dates: ||License Fee Option 1 ||License Fee Option 2
|From January 1 in an even year to June 30 in an even year
||Pay $340 for a license expiring December 31 of the next odd year. (Valid for at most 24 months.)
|From July 1 in an even year to December 31 in an even year
||Pay $255 for a license expiring December 31 of the next odd year. (Valid for at most 18 months.)
|From January 1 in an odd year to June 30 in an odd year
||Pay $170 for a license expiring December 31 of the same odd year. (Valid for at most 12 months.)
|From July 1 in an odd year to December 31 in an odd year
||Pay $85 for a license expiring December 31 of the same odd year. (Valid for at most 6 months.)
||Pay $425 for a license expiring December 31 of the next odd year. (Valid for at most 30 months.)
○ Check or money order payable to DCWP. (In person)
○ Credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card only).
You will be charged a nonrefundable Convenience Fee. (In person or online)
Application Filing Process
- Review requirements and gather all materials before clicking the button below. The online service is available using a laptop or desktop computer only.
- If you haven’t registered an account with the City of New York, you will need to register an account before you can proceed to the online application.
- After you submit the online application, follow the instructions on the confirmation page. DCWP cannot process incomplete applications.
- Important: If you need to file another license application, return to the Apply for a DCWP License page to read requirements and proceed to the next online application.
File In Person
Schedule an appointment to file in person at the DCWP Licensing Center or NYC Small Business Support Center
|DCWP LICENSING CENTER
42 Broadway, Lobby
New York, NY 10004
By Appointment Only Hours:
Monday, Wednesday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.
|NYC SMALL BUSINESS SUPPORT CENTER
90-27 Sutphin Blvd, 4th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11435
By Appointment Only Hours:
Tuesday, Thursday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Last appointment: 3:30 p.m.
By Email: LicensingAppointments@dca.nyc.gov
By Phone*: Call (212) 436-0441. (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
*This number is to schedule an appointment for in-person service only. For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free Interpretation Services are available on-site. To request a disability-related accommodation, please email DCWP’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator at email@example.com or visit our Accommodations page.
Additional Resources for Booting Companies
- For resources to help your business open, operate, and grow, visit nyc.gov/business.
Get Voter Information
Note: Whether you apply to register to vote or not, it will not affect the assistance DCWP will provide to you.