Benefits of Breastfeeding
- Breast milk is filled with the vitamins and nutrients that your baby needs. It builds your baby's immune system and helps her brain develop.
- Breast milk is easier to digest than formula, resulting in less spit-up and diarrhea.
- Breastfed babies are less likely to become obese later in life.
- Breastfed babies are less likes to get infections and to develop SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), asthma, diabetes and other chronic conditions.
- Breastfeeding helps your body recover from pregnancy and labor - shrinking your uterus back to size and reducing bleeding after birth.
- Breastfeeding lowers your risk of getting diabetes, ovarian cancer and some forms of breast cancer.
- Breastfeeding helps you bond with your baby.
- Breastfeeding saves time and money. No bottles need to be washed and sterilized, and no formula needs to be bought.
You have the right to breastfeed anytime, anywhere. Prefer to breastfeed or pump in a room? Find a community lactation room (PDF) near you. For more information check out the community lactation room poster (PDF). Read the press release.
Download The NYC Mothers' Guide to Breastfeeding
Other languages (PDF): [Español] [中文] [한국어] [Русский] [Français] [عربي] [বাংলা ] [اردو]
Sign up for Mobile Milk, a text messaging campaign to encourage and support breastfeeding. To get started, text MILK to 877877.
Learn about Latch On NYC: a citywide initiative to support mothers who choose to breastfeed.
If you are an employer, learn how to support your breastfeeding employees.
Check out these videos of real mothers talking about their experiences breastfeeding.