The NYPD Legal Bureau provides assistance to law enforcement personnel regarding department legal matters. The bureau assists members of the service in interpreting and enforcing state, federal, and local laws; ensures that the policies and practices of the department are lawful and are fairly applied; develops legislation in accordance with the needs of the Department and public safety concerns; and furthers the quality of life of New Yorkers and visitors through the focused and aggressive use of civil enforcement remedies. The Legal Bureau oversees several units and sections.
|Civil Enforcement Unit
|Document Production Unit/FOIL
Legal Bureau Subunits
- Civil Enforcement Unit (CEU) staff use nuisance abatement and forfeiture laws to successfully tackle quality of life crimes.
- Criminal Section advises members of the service on criminal law matters.
- Civil Section serves as in-house counsel to the department on all civil legal issues.
- Legislative Affairs Unit is responsible for all aspects of the department's participation in the legislative process at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Document Production/FOIL reviews formal requests from individuals seeking department records.
- Police Action Litigation Section (PALS) serves as a liaison to all members of the NYPD facing litigation stemming from police action.
Click here to view legal filings.