In February 2019, the City of New York adopted the Health and Human Services Cost Policies and Procedures Manual (Cost Manual) to standardize cost allocation practices for health and human service providers contracting with the City. The FY20 Adopted Budget established an Indirect Cost Rate (ICR) Funding Initiative based on the Cost Manual. The Office of Management and Budget and Mayor’s Office of Contract Services formed a City Implementation Team (CIT)
to manage the implementation and roll-out of the ICR Funding Initiative and established a Provider Work Group to advise them. Please see the resources below for more information about the steps to take to establish and claim your organization’s indirect cost rate. Providers may initiate the indirect cost claiming process beginning on November 18, 2019
. This Webpage will be updated regularly with information and resources. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
- Cost Manual Revised August 25, 2020. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like a red-line version of the Manual that tracks the changes between the last version of the Cost Manual and the current, revised Manual.
- New Update to ICR Funding for FY20 on August 11, 2020.
- ICR Funding Initiative Technical Update Video Webinar that provides more information about the implementation of the FY21 Adopted Budget and revisions to FY20 amendments. Providers may refer to this Technical Update FAQ that answers questions received during the webinar sessions.
- ICR Investment Timeline This timeline includes milestones for Entryway selection, the completion of Delta Templates, and submission of ICR Verification Documentation. Organizations should consult the timeline to see the milestone dates applicable to receive FY20 funding and FY21 ICR processing.
- FY20 ICR Amendment Calculator Excel worksheet that providers can use to calculate their FY20 ICR Amendments.
- Delta Template Job Aids The following instructional materials walk providers through the process of receiving, completing, and submitting their Delta Template, which will be shared with an organization via its HHS Accelerator Document Vault upon submission of an Entryway Choice Form.
- Budget Modification Job Aids The following instructional materials provide step-by-step guidance on aligning cost treatments with the Cost Manual and submitting budget modifications in HHS Accelerator.
- Provider Checklist Tool providers can use to track the completion of the steps needed to receive the ICR funding.
- Registration Tip Sheet List of tips providers can consult to support timely contract and amendment registration.
- Independent Accountant’s Report The Cost Manual, has been updated to replace the Certified Public Accountant Verification Letter Template with the Independent Accountant’s Report. If a Provider has an indirect cost rate higher than 10%, the Provider may claim its higher rate through submitting to the City a federal Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (NICRA) or an Independent Accountant’s Report completed by a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). If a Provider chooses to pursue an Independent Accountant’s Report, it will need to provide its CPA with a schedule of indirect cost rate based on its most recent available schedule of functional expenses. The City offers this indirect cost rate worksheet to support Providers in the development of a Schedule of Indirect Cost Rate (see final tab in the linked worksheet). The City of New York wishes to acknowledge The New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants' Not-for-Profit Organizations Committee for its feedback on the Independent Accountant’s Report.
- ICR Funding Initiative Video An overview of an October 7th Sector and City Agency Briefings, providing timelines and process for organizations to establish and claim their indirect cost rate and request funding. The Briefing Powerpoint is available here.
- The City Council of The City of New York FY20 Adopted Expense Budget Adjustment Summary / Schedule C
- Reports to New York City Council
- Press Release Mayor de Blasio, Speaker Johnson and City Council announce the launch of the Indirect Funding Initiative.
Archive of Email Communications
Please find below an archive of emails from the CIT to nonprofit providers, membership organizations and City Agencies highlighting specific updates and information. Please contact email@example.com
if you would like to be added to our email distribution list.
- September 8, 2020: Technical Update Video
- September 1, 2020: Revised Cost Manual and Additional Webinar
- August 25, 2020: Update on Indirect Funding Initiative
- August 20, 2020: Invitation to Webinar
- August 18, 2020: Update on Indirect Funding Initiative
- August 11, 2020: Update on Indirect Funding Initiative
- June 16, 2020: 3 Days Left for FY20 Entryway Selection
- June 9, 2020: 10 Days Left for FY20 Entryway Selection
- June 2, 2020: FY21 Announcements and Revised Cost Manual
- May 26, 2020: June Deadlines for FY20 ICR Processing
- May 19, 2020: May 22nd Deadline for FY20 Retroactive Funding
- May 15, 2020: Initiative Reminders
- May 6, 2020: New! Delta Template Video
- April 28, 2020: Initiative Reminders
- April 22, 2020: Delta Template Revisions
- April 15, 2020: Initiative Reminders
- April 8, 2020: Initiative Reminders
- March 31, 2020: Message from the CIT
- March 10, 2020: Initiative Reminders
- March 3, 2020: Initiative Reminders
- February 25, 2020: Delta Templates
- February 18, 2020: Cost Manual Additions
- February 11, 2020: Investment Timeline
- February 4, 2020: Entryway Submission
- January 28, 2020: 4 Days Remaining for FY20-Only Conditional ICR Election
- January 21, 2020: Reminder For FY 20-Only Conditional ICR
- January 14, 2020: Additional Job Aids Now Available
- January 7, 2020: Deadline for Conditional ICR Approaching
- December 31, 2019: New Year's Reminders
- December 24, 2019: Holiday Reminders
- December 16, 2019: Delta Templates
- December 9, 2019: Deadline for Conditional Rate
- December 3, 2019: Entryway Resources Available
- November 26, 2019: Revised Cost Manual and Provider Checklist
- November 18, 2019: Claiming Starts Today
- November 12, 2019: Revised Cost Manual and FAQs
- October 28, 2019: Independent Accountant’s Report
- October 18, 2019: October 7 Briefing Video
- October 8, 2019: Follow-Up to October 7th Briefing
- September 12, 2019: Indirect Information Survey
- September 6, 2019: Invitation to October 7th Briefing