COVID-19: DOB Operational Updates
UPDATE: Please see to the May 2021 Agency Return to Office Plan to learn how DOB is implementing our office return in the age of COVID-19.
Sign-up for Buildings News to get the latest DOB updates.
As part of the citywide response to the Coronavirus, the Department of Buildings (DOB) is continuing its efforts to immediately limit the amount of walk-in traffic to DOB offices. Effective immediately, the following mandatory operational changes have been implemented:
Application Processing Drop-off Box Service Availability
- After Hour Variances (electrical, elevator, initial fee exempt)
- Data Entry Corrections (demolition only)
- Withdrawal Requests (BIS jobs contractor/applicant)
- Initial and Subsequent Job Filings (exceptions only: Builders Pavement Plan, Full Demolition, Green Roof, Solar, Subdivision, Alt-1 and NB Affordable Housing/Fee Deferred/No Work)
- Temporary Use Permits
- Letters of No Objection
- Permit Renewals (with change only)
- License Applications (updates to paper applications only)
- Limited Alteration Applications civil penalty payments
- Ordinary Plumbing Work Reports (OP 128)
Department of Buildings offices are open to the public from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm for in-person and drop off transactions.
See the UPDATED Service Notice Manhattan Borough Office Operations Relocating to First Floor, Customer Service Atrium for more details.
eFiling for Application Processing
- Permit renewals without changes must be processed in eFiling.
- For initial non-Hub standard plan BIS jobs, upload plans in eFiling/eSubmit after the job is in AP Entire/D status.
- PAA applications and PAA payments must be submitted in eFiling. Drop offs are no longer accepted.
- Do not upload plans in eFiling/eSubmit for standard plan PAAs until it has been entered in BIS and the fees have been paid.
- Letter of Completion Folder Review Requests (PW7) cannot be submitted in-person to a borough office and are required to be submitted in eFiling.
See the UPDATED Application Processing Service Notice for more details. All applications need to be dropped-off or mailed to the borough office where the property is located.
- Cranes and Derricks applications
- Licensing applications (initial and change requests)
- OP128: Ordinary Plumbing Work Reports
See the Certificate of Correction Service Notice, Licensing Service Notice, CD/eFiling/LAA Service Notice and DM/SSP Service Notice for more details.
Phone or Email Services
- Appointments for Standard Plan Review BIS Job Filings
- DOB Violations
- Reinstatement Requests for BIS Jobs
- Stop Work Orders
- Vacate Orders
See the Enforcement Service Notice for more details about contacting the appropriate Enforcement unit. See the Appointments Service Notice for additional information. See the Reinstatements Service Notice for the appropriate email addresses.
Self-service Online Tools
Submit in DOB NOW Jobs for:
- New Building
- Limited Alteration
- Place of Assembly
- BIS Schedule of Occupancy
- Certificate of Occupancy
Currently cannot be submitted in DOB NOW:
- Builders Pavement Plan
- Full Demolition
- Green Roof
- Letter of No Objection
- Alt-1: Affordable Housing/Fee Deferred/No Work
- NB: Affordable Housing/Fee Deferred
In-person Services (8:30 am to 4:00 pm)
- Licensing – approved for new license and plate/seal pick up only
- Payments (Express Cashier in the borough offices and Central Cashier at 280 Broadway, 1st Floor)
- Plan Pick Up
Manhattan Borough Office Cashier is located on the 1st Floor Customer Service Atrium.
See the New Customer Office Hours Service Notice and the Manhattan Borough Office Operations Relocating to First Floor, Customer Service Atrium for more information.
COVID-related Buildings Bulletins
- BB 2021-009 – RESCINDS: DOB’s Phase 1 Reopening Guidance and Buildings Bulletins 2020-006, 2020-010, 2020-015, 2021-008
- BB 2021-008 – RESCINDED by BB 2021-009 – focuses on natural gas as a power source for outdoor heaters, and describes the process of installing, permitting, and operating such heaters; Supersedes BB 2020-020; Related Bulletin BB 2021-005
- BB 2021-007 – focuses on natural gas as a power source for outdoor heaters, and describes the process of installing, permitting, and operating such heaters; Supersedes BB 2020-019
- BB 2021-006 – focuses on electricity as a power source for heaters and describes the process of installing, permitting, and operating such heaters; Supersedes BB 2020-018
- BB 2021-005 – describes when a DOB permit application is not required for the safe New York City reopening of restaurants and bars; Supersedes BB 2020-017
- BB 2020-020 – describes when a DOB permit application is not required and how to determine the number of occupants for the reopening of indoor food services and dining in restaurants and establishments in New York City
- BB 2020-019 – focuses on natural gas as a power source for outdoor heaters, and describes the process of installing, permitting, and operating these heaters
- BB 2020-018 – focuses on electricity as a power source for heaters and describes the process of installing, permitting, and operating for temporary outdoor electric heaters
- BB 2020-017 – SUPERSEDED by BB 2021-005 – (Emergency Executive Orders: EO 126 and EO 128) describes when a DOB permit application is not required for the safe New York City Phase 2 reopening of restaurants and bars
- BB 2020-015 – RESCINDED by BB 2021-009 – (Emergency Executive Order: EEO 132) describes the application process for qualifying educational institutions to obtain approval for temporary student dormitory use in hotels
- BB 2020-010 – RESCINDED by BB 2021-009 – provides updated guidance to owners and contractors regarding reopening sites where operations were suspended due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency
- BB 2020-006 – RESCINDED by BB 2021-009 – provides updated guidance to owners and contractors on how to secure construction and demolition sites when operations are suspended due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency