Fruits & Vegetables
You have the power to improve your health. Read our Guide to Healthy Eating and Active Living in NYC (PDF) [Español]: Guía para una alimentación saludable y una vida activa en la ciudad de Nueva York (PDF).
Fruits and vegetables are a delicious and affordable way to eat healthy. They contain lots of important vitamins and minerals, as well as fiber, which helps keep you regular and makes you feel full on very few calories. Enjoy fruits and vegetables at mealtime, as a snack, or even on the go.
NYC Farmers Markets provide an opportunity for you to buy fresh and affordable produce while supporting local farmers.
Whether eating them fresh, canned or frozen, you have lots of options that can fit within your schedule and your budget. However you eat your fruits and veggies, use My Plate Planner (PDF) [Español]: Mi planificador de plato (PDF)] to plan quick, healthy meals for you and your family.
Tips for fitting more fruits and vegetables into your day:
- Eat as snacks on the go - a banana or carrot sticks are easy to pack
- Try a new vegetable with your meal. Sauté green leafy vegetables, such as spinach or Swiss chard, in olive oil with spices, such as garlic and pepper.
- Choose fruit as a dessert. Bake an apple or pear with some cinnamon and a touch of butter. This makes a delicious fall dessert.
- Make a fruit salad. This is a great addition to any meal or can be packed as a snack on the go.
- Switch from white potatoes to sweet potatoes or yams. They have more vitamins and fiber and fewer calories.
- If you participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/EBT), you can get free fruits, vegetables and beans at certain NYC supermarkets.
See Our Campaigns
Fruits and Vegetables: Take Me With You (PDF)
Fruits and Veggies for a Healthy Heart (PDF)
More Healthy Eating Info:
Find Local Produce
Guide to Healthy Eating and Active Living in NYC (PDF) Other languages: [Español] [中文] [Русский]