Electronic Benefit Transfer Cards

Electronic Benefit Transfer Cards

Benefits like SNAP and Cash Assistance are issued to clients on an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card, which can be used in participating stores just like a debit card. An EBT card is also called a Common Benefit Identification Card (CBIC) and used as identification for Medicaid and other benefits.

Once they are approved for benefits, clients will receive their EBT/CBIC card in the mail. If your card has not yet arrived, you can get a permanent card at the Brooklyn Over the Counter office, or receive a temporary called (also known as a vault card) at an open HRA Job Center.

Please note that due to the Coronavirus pandemic, several HRA centers have consolidated. Please consult the HRA Locations page to find the nearest open location.

You can change your EBT Personal Identification Number (PIN) code by phone by calling 1-888-328-6399. You will need the case head’s Social Security Number (or the Social Security Number of the oldest child on the case if you are the parent or guardian of a child who receives benefits but not on the case yourself).  PIN numbers may also be changed at an HRA center.

Don’t forget, you can track your SNAP or Cash Assistance application, submit required documents, update your mailing address, and much more on ACCESS HRA.