Child Support Services

Custodial Parents

To apply for child support services, any mother, father, or guardian who cares for a child can go the Family Court in the borough they live in. Parents who receive cash assistance are automatically referred to our Borough Offices for services.

Our services include:
• Locating the other parent
• Establishing legal fatherhood (paternity)
• Establishing child support and medical support orders
• Collecting and distributing support payments
• Enforcement of child support orders

Even if you believe the noncustodial parent cannot afford to pay child support right now, you should still get a child support order. Establishing legal fatherhood (paternity) all by itself can benefit your child.

We do not address divorce, custody, or visitation, though we can guide you to outside mediation services.

Advance Child Tax Credit

To help families during COVID, the U.S. government made changes to the Child Tax Credit (CTC). Families can get half of the fully refundable credit—worth up to $3,600 per child—as monthly payments in 2021 and the other half as a refund in 2022. Child Tax Credit payments begin July 15, 2021.

Translated CTC Posters and Flyers are now available online here.

They’re available in these languages:

  • English
  • Español
  • العربية
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Kreyòl Ayisyen
  • 한국어
  • Pусский
  • বাংলা
  • Français
  • Polski
  • اردو (this poster is still pending)


Brochures and Other Information